Virtual Sim Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virtual Sim Racing Association

Place where serious racers can find clean and competitive racers using the iRacing software.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Season 11 DIYSim.com Road Course Challenge will be starting soon !! Stayed tuned for more information !!

Sim keeps crashing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jordan M
Novice License Holder
Novice License Holder
Jordan M

iRacing Tag : Jordan Malish

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/4/2012, 10:12 pm

So I think my computer is commiting seppuku while staring me in the eyes.

The biggest problem is that the sim will not stay open for for than a few moments after loading the track.
video of crash: http://www.twitch.tv/racer0940/b/327391020

I was able to play for a bit today before it eventually went out on me again. My graphics card is what I'm thinking. Less than 5 minutes after starting the computer, the gpu temp is 62 C/144 F. I'm not doing anything gpu intensive, just browsing the internet.

Also, my wheel all of a sudden started to freak out when in a session, the wheel will jerk to the side every full seconds when accelerating. Happens with every vehicle I tried.
Back to top Go down
http://twitch.tv/racer0940
Ripp3d
Semi-Pro License Holder
Semi-Pro License Holder
Ripp3d

iRacing Tag : David Rippy

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/5/2012, 4:08 pm

What's your hardware ?

Do you have any other games that you can test to see if it's possibly "graphics" related?

Are you overclocking anything?

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/rippyondrums
Jordan M
Novice License Holder
Novice License Holder
Jordan M

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/5/2012, 4:43 pm

Ah, sorry. I forgot to post my pc specs.

RAM: 16gb
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Nothing is overclocked. GTA IV crashed on my in a similar fashion last night, but I've been able to run Quantum Conundrum and BF3 for a few hours with no problems.

edit: on an unrelated note, what's the deal with licenses? I see you have amateur license and I have rookie.
Back to top Go down
Ripp3d
Semi-Pro License Holder
Semi-Pro License Holder
Ripp3d

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/5/2012, 4:50 pm

Funny thing is, I JUST saw that n your streaming channel page :0

That's great hardware beyond requirements...

That is odd... I would check the latest graphics card drivers. Any updates/changes lately? How about the latest windows updates?

What kind of Power supply do you have? Are you running stock cooling fan?

-- I can run gta 4 on pretty much high/ultra everything on (I've even messed with hi-res mods) :
Amd Phenom Black 970 @ 3.57 ghz
4GB Ram 800mhz
Nvidia GTX 470 1.2Gb
Earthwatts 600watts psu
-oh and a Zalman cooling fan,( I think 90 or 120mm something like that, I'm not really oc'ing so not really a biggie)
And the license thing, you have to not suck to move up. J/k... I believe all you need is 5 races completed.
Back to top Go down
Jordan M
Novice License Holder
Novice License Holder
Jordan M

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/5/2012, 6:09 pm

I won't argue about it being overkill, I do a lot of photo/video editing, so everything I mess with I don't have to worry about any constraints.

I'm not a big fan of the layout of my mobo, the way my video card sits, the fan is right next to my network card which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for air to move around. I downloaded a fan controller and kicked the fan speed to 100% and the temp dropped nearly 10 degrees celsius instantly. Next time I start up the sim, I'll kick the fan speed up and see what it does. I'm still not sure if that's the problem though, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor.

This is the board I have. You can kind of see in the overhead picture, I have the video card in the left most PCI x16 slot, and a network card in the right most black PCI slot. It has room, but it's still kind of snug, If the video card were facing the opposite way, I think it'd be fine.
Back to top Go down
Ripp3d
Semi-Pro License Holder
Semi-Pro License Holder
Ripp3d

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/5/2012, 6:23 pm

Yeah I hear ya on everything.

Do you have any case fans near it? How about the enclosure? Mine's kinda horrid looking, basically I have both side panels off, and a fan sucking in air and blowing it on the card out the other side. works pretty well.

I had an old radeon card, and it overheated like that. I boosted fan speed just like you're saying, and that seemed to improve things.

gl man
Back to top Go down
Joseph.Andersen
Professional License Holder

Sim keeps crashing Sponsorvsra
iRacing Tag : Joseph Andersen

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/6/2012, 8:37 am

Your temp on the GPU is fine. Dont worry until your getting over 80C. It could be a driver issue, what version of CCC are you running? Some people have problems with 12.6 and are staying at 12.4 until 12.8 comes out. Another thing to try is a fresh install of iRacing. I've read about some people having to do that also. I would download CPUID Hardware monitor and then you get watch all the temps and voltages and see if anything stands out. If it only does it on iRacing I would say re install iRacing, if it does it with other programs then it might be a bad power supply.

Here is the link for CUPID

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Back to top Go down
Jordan M
Novice License Holder
Novice License Holder
Jordan M

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/6/2012, 12:43 pm

I'm at work atm, so I can't mess with my computer right now. I did try cpuid last night, but it kept giving me an error that my CPU (i7 2600k) was not supported. As for the driver, I have 12.6 right now, but I also tried going back to 12.4 over the weekend with the same results, sim crashed at the same spot/time. I've fresh installed iRacing a few times now, not to mention that I just reformatted the whole computer. I've had the problem before and after the format, so I feel confident saying it's not the iRacing files unless it's the latest update.

edit: how would you tell if a psu is going bad? I have a 750 watt power supply (this one), but I'm not sure how to tell if it's going bad, I assume you do that with CPUID?
Back to top Go down
Joseph.Andersen

iRacing Tag : Joseph Andersen

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/6/2012, 1:31 pm

Yes, with CUPID you can watch the voltage that everything is getting and see if its correct. You could try a cheap psu from somewhere and return after testing.
Back to top Go down
Sc0tty P33
Semi-Pro License Holder
Semi-Pro License Holder

iRacing Tag : Scott Power

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/6/2012, 1:47 pm

Jordan Malish wrote:
Ah, sorry. I forgot to post my pc specs.

edit: on an unrelated note, what's the deal with licenses? I see you have amateur license and I have rookie.

Copied From Sporting Regs:

1.3 - There are 5 different license types in the VSRA. The Licenses are awarded when a driver completes a certain amount of races. The licenses will not be updated until the end of each season. The licenses consist of:

- Rookie License - Granted at Registration

- Amateur License - Completed 5 VSRA Events

- Novice License - Completed 10 VSRA Events

- Semi-Pro License- Completed 15 VSRA Events

- Professional License - Completed 20 VSRA Events
Back to top Go down
Jordan M
Novice License Holder
Novice License Holder
Jordan M

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty8/11/2012, 1:36 pm

I forgot about this post.

To fix the problem, go into your iRacing folder under program files and remove the file "ftk_api.dll" if anyone else runs across the problem.

The file allows the game to put the gear on the display of certain fanatec wheels, so it's not necessary for gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sim keeps crashing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sim keeps crashing   Sim keeps crashing Empty

Back to top Go down

Sim keeps crashing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Virtual Sim Racing Association :: VSRA: General Information :: VSRA: Technical Lab-
Jump to: